Friends, meet the guilt-free version of chicken fingers french fries! And it’s SO delicious – it’s sure to please both your inner child and your actual children. 🙂
For the chicken tenders:
- 1- 1 1/2 lb. chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 c. cornflake breadcrumbs (you can substitute panko breadcrumbs or even make a 1/2 cornflake and 1/2 panko breadcrumb mixture)
- 2 c. flour
- 2 eggs
For the sweet potato fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
You’ll want to make the sweet potato fries first because they take longer to cook.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into french fry shapes pieces. Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, pepper, cumin, and chili powder on the fries and toss again to coat.
- Like a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the fries onto the baking sheet. Try to spread them out as much as possible. I wound up using two different baking sheets to fit all of the fries without crowding them. (Crowding them will cause them to steam as opposed to bake and get nice and crispy.)
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Once you pop the fries in the oven you can get started on the chicken tenders. While the fries need about 30 minutes to cook, the chicken tenders only need to bake for around 15-2o minutes. This will work out perfectly because it only takes about 10 minutes to bread the chicken tenders. So just as the french fry timer is down to “20 minutes” you’ll be popping the chicken tenders in the oven anyway! And everything will finish cooking at the same time! Hooray for great time management!
To make the chicken tenders:
- Set up your “breading station”. You’ll want one plate with flour on it, a bowl with your (cracked and scrambled) raw eggs, and a plate with your breadcrumbs on it.
- Bread each chicken tender by first dredging it in the flour, then dipping it in the egg, and lastly coating it with the breadcrumbs.
- Line a baking pan with a wire rack. Coat the rack with a non-stick cooking spray. Place the breaded chicken tenders on the rack.
- Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Place in the oven (which is already on at 425 degrees because the fries are in there baking) and bake the chicken tenders for 15-20 minutes.
- Service with dipping sauce of choice. Enjoy!
Quick dipping sauce idea: Honey Mustard (1/4 c. dijon mustard + 1/4 c. honey. BOOM.)